OptiMate 3 Advanced Battery Charger
No more flat batteries!! Like its smaller sibling the OptiMate 2, The Tecmate OptiMate 3 is the world leader for motorcycle battery chargers. Added advantage of the Optimate 3 is its ability to desulphify old batteries and attempt to recover them to a serviceable state and to recover deeply discharged batteries e.g. those left over winter. With its included fly-lead to permanently attach to your battery, just a simple plug-in connection is required to exercise and top-up your battery - no more stripping the bike down to recharge a flat battery (well, to be fair, you'll have to do it the first time to attach the fly lead!!) - perfect for motorcycles fitted with alarms and . Also includes standard crocodile clip attachments.
You can see them in action here:
1. Safety check: OptiMate 3 must be connected to a battery (retaining minimum 2V) to activate its output.
2. Desulfation and recovery: if due to sulphation the battery’s resistance is abnormally high, a voltage of up to 20V is automatically applied to overcome this so as to recover very flat or neglected batteries until they are able to accept the normal charge program.
3. Bulk charge: a constant current of 0.8A efficiently brings the battery close to full charge.
4. Charge verification: Charge verification: as soon as the rising resistance causes the charge voltage to reach 14.3V, the voltage is limited at 13.6V for 30 minutes while the circuit monitors the actual voltage and the current absorbed by the battery. If within 30 minutes the automatic circuit judges that the achieved charge is less than optimal, the program reverts to bulk charge and the process repeats.
5. Charge retention test: when the monitored parameters confirm that an optimal charge has been achieved, the first check for battery (and connected system) power leakage commences. Depending on the voltage retained during 30 minutes, an “OK” (green LED) or “not OK” (red LED test result is displayed. These 30 minute test periods repeat hourly until the OptiMate 3 is disconnected, so that the battery status indication is continually updated.
6. Charge maintenance: during alternate 30 minute periods, at a float limit of 13.6V the battery is offered charge current (up to the maximum) it needs to sustain it against any small connected loads or power leakage and against natural self-discharge. OptiMate 3 can stay connected to the battery indefinitely, the battery will stay cool and safe.and optimally charged - Of course!!
Ideal for 12V lead-acid batteries 2.5 to 50Ah, AGM (MF), Standard, GEL and AGM spiral cell Program control Microprocessor (5 stages) Output current (bulk charge) 0.8A Automatic desulphation yes Charge time limit maintenance time: unlimited Maintain / test cycles 30 min/30 min (alternating hourly) Charge retention test monitors during 30min., no charge intervals Size 167 x 65 x 46 mm / 6 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1 3/4 inches Weight (packaging) 0.6 kg / 1 1/3 lb Enclosure classification fully sealed (IP54), 4 x wall mount tabs Input cable length 2m / 6ft Output cable length 2m / 6ft Included Accessories O-01: weatherproof permanent lead O-04: alligator/battery clips Operation temperature range From –20ºC <-> 40°C / –4°F <-> 104°F Warranty 3 years AC supply 100-240V~50-60Hz 0.23A @ 100V – 0.15A @ 240V Reverse drain current less than 1mA Power usage (no battery connected) 0.0089kWh / day Ratings / approvals : Safety, EMC, Energy efficiency, enclosure seal rating IP54, CE, NRTL (UL & CSA), SAA (AU & NZ), PSE (Japan) approved by TUV Sud. BC (California Energy Compliant).